Thursday, January 15, 2009

Together Through the Cold

School was canceled for today at 5:00 last night due to cold weather and paralyzing wind chill. With 25 years of working in education it has never happened before. Snow and ice may stop us, but not cold. Unfortunately, Trekker and Shiloh did not seem to be aware that it was unnecessary for me to get up this morning. Did they not watch the news with me and see me do the happy dance? At 3:00 am, Trekker snuggles into his nitch between my neck and head. By 4:45 am both dogs were ready to go out for their early morning bathroom break. Since we live in a walk out on bad weather days I take the dogs to the lower level to let them out. I thought the 45 degree below warranted two floors of stairs, even at this early time. After carefully descending two flights of stairs in the dark I opened the door and let the dogs out. Trekker took one step out and turned around to come right back in. Too cold for him no matter how bad he had to go. After a few choice words, I wrapped the down blanket around me and went out too. Yep, it was COLD! The boys did their business quickly and were ready to go back in the house. ME too. Since I’m now wide awake, I’ll do a little prayer for all the animals and people who can’t go right back inside.

My next problem to solve will be how to exercise an active adolescent puppy enough to wear him out inside when he’s used to walking a couple miles a day. His interest in ball throwing and chase are limited.

1 comment:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Joy,

Our obedience instructor teaches her dogs to find_____(fill in the blank). She sends notes with the dogs to family members, hides toys, etc. She says it is a sure fire way to wear young dogs and keep their minds busy.

Me I am just grateful for football!

Kim