Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snow Brings A Step Back


What a whirlwind start to a new year, it seems to be going by in a blear. I really feel that the school system should understand that I’m really busy and just allow me to stay home for a while, with salary of course. Actually, school has been as busy if not busier than my home life with meetings, mid-year assessments, and new projects. It’s hard to believe that we’ve only been back in session for a week.

I’ve made Trekker a priority this week. Last week we went back to training unprepared. Fortunately he kicked it in better than I did. Today, I hope, we’re ready. We’ve practiced and are looking pretty sharp. Now the test will be—can we carry it over where there are distractions? This is the last session for the advanced handlers’ class. I’m hoping she’ll announce a continuation. With only three to four people it is tailored specifically to the handlers and dogs immediate needs. I’ve never had to work so hard in a class because you’re never out of the eye of the instructor. She is demanding and we’re improving because of it.

Then tomorrow we start our agility class. Since this is my first attempt at it I have no idea what to expect. Will we have the skills needed to do it? I have no doubt in Trekker’s ability; it’s his owner’s ability that I’m worried about.

You could almost hear a sigh of relief this morning from the dogs with the new snow covering the ground. Our backyard has gone from an ice rink to a winter wonderland where they can finally get traction and play. Trekker’s first mission was to nose plow the pristine snow. He’s so enamored with it that when he’s not out he’s up on the footstool looking out the window and sighing. Rich, on the other hand, not so thrilled. He too looked out and sighed too with a completely different meaning before heading out too to plow. His comment was, “I wouldn’t have to do this if we lived in Arizona. “

My hope is to bring life to a little slower pace this weekend before starting all over again Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll find that all our dogs are better at agility than are the handlers. Just hang in there and you'll become less of a burden to the real star of the show.

the Corgi Girls said...

Yay, snow!