Friday, December 12, 2008

A Small Amount of Jealousy


Shiloh is a one person dog, he loves me to distraction. He loves the attention of others, people and animals, as long as I am present. When he can see me, Shiloh settles comfortably into their company. If not, he becomes anxious. There was the time that he heard me talking to a neighbor in the front yard. He scaled a six foot privacy fence between our backyard and front to lie at my feet while I talked. When we took the TDI test, the testers fudged a little because he was anxious over our separation. Even when it comes to going outside for a bathroom break he’d like me to go out on the deck and wait for him. He would hold it forever if it meant going out alone. When I’m not home Shiloh lays on the pillow at the front door watching for me to return home. It makes no difference if Rich or Luke is home, whom he loves, he waits for me at the door.

Trekker, on the other hand, is a love the one you’re with dog. He wants to be where the action is. If Luke, Rich, or Shiloh is ready to go so is he. Go…Go…Go… though when it’s time to settle in, it’s my lap where he retreats. Trekker’s attitude is a healthier and it will make him a better TDI dog, but I find myself with a slight twang of jealousy as I watch how much Trekker is enjoying Luke being home from college.

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

I'm sure Trekker will bond with you more as you work through all the obedience classes, and as he matures. Even with our 8 (yes, I said 8 now! LOL) Corgis, each one has their favorite person they are devoted to, but they love all of us. We each have our certain "cuddle" times with our favorites, but also with all the others. We try not to show favortism, but that is hard, I know. Phantom (Boo) is MY dog through and through, will do almost anything I ask of him (except "down", we're still working on that which is hard for a show dog that is as stubborn as his Mom ;) ), but on those show weekends, he is definitely Daddy's boy. If any of the other dogs are around, he will also not be "cuddly" with me, as he's afraid to lose cool points. Now, at night, cool points go out the window, as he cuddles, plays, and then flips over on his back and sleeps beside me (and between Rus and I...permanent speed bump according to Rus!). Ruby is curled up with Rus, unless she's upstairs with Bekka. The others will begin sleeping out when they learn not to chew anything up. ;) We'll see where and with whom they end up with at that time.

Cardigans just have SO much love to give and have to share with everyone of their favorite people. That's the good thing about them! Now, Pemmies, on the other hand, think EVERYONE is their favorite person, and very little loyalty there! Ransom and Duchess love us all, but as soon as someone else shows up, they act like they love them just as well! Maybe Trekker has a little "Pem" attitude in him, too! ;) hehe

Just enjoy your special time with Trekker, and be glad he has so much love to share with everyone! That's what makes them SO special! :D

Hugs and Happy Holidays to all!

Sherilyn
Winjammin' Corgis