Monday, December 15, 2008

Focus Needed

Trekker and I started a new round of classes on Saturday. Actually we started two. First is the beginner’s class at noon. There is no doubt that Trekker is the most obedience trained of the group of 13 dogs. But the class is a wonderful situation to run him through commands with lots of distracters. He still has a lot to learn about focus. Then at 2:00 is the advanced class. Things change in that class. There are three of us in it and it is rigorous with lots of individual attention. With so few participants I feel like I had to be on my toes all the time. I heard several time, “Joy, if you want him in TDI and agility you need to …” The class was very tailored to each of our needs. It was great, but both Trekker and I went home dragging. I did learn something else. Next time bring higher value treats to the second class. Trekker wasn’t sure he wanted to up his performance level for the same treats he had just had for the beginner’s class. Fortunately the instructor had hot dogs and hot dogs Trekker would work his heart out for.
Sunday we went to observe an advanced agility class. I have never seen focus like that. It demonstrated that Trekker and I have a really…really long way to go.

No comments: