Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Confessions

I am a keeper and a collector. I love the ritual of getting the cherished Christmas decorations out year after year and adding an item or two to the collection. This season has been a challenge. Over the summer we began to downsize with the intent of moving south in a couple of years. Many pieces of furniture, knick knacks, etc. left our house. This weeding process has made me reflect on what I really love and want to pass down to my son as opposed to what was okay and filled the rooms. But what do you do with the decorations that have always been placed on pieces of furniture that are now gone? You rethink and pare down. I work with many young teachers who are just beginning their households and are in their acquiring stage. This works perfectly with this middle age educator who is in the weeding stage and wants to give things away.
So you would think that with all this giving I wouldn’t buy a new piece. Wrong, but to me it was one great piece that HAD to be purchased. I love Fitz and Floyd for its hand painted intricate detail and over the years I have collected quite a bit. But I have never brought myself to buy the large table top Santa sleigh. This year it called to me over and over telling me that it belonged on my dining room table, which is where it now sits. I want to state for the record I have kept my deal with the husband. I agreed that I would not bring in anything without getting rid of something. I did that. I just didn’t agree that they would be of equal value.

2 comments:

Sherilyn said...

Gorgeous!! :)

coopercreek said...

I love it. It's beautfiul.

Laura