Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ready To Hunt...Are We Done Yet?







Trekker here—I want you to know that I’ve been working really hard to help Shiloh with the squirrels and the rabbits in the yard. I run and run and run…

Wait a minute, let me tell you the whole story!!! Shiloh here. Since I was a pup it has been my job to keep the squirrels and the rabbits from the yard. I take that job very seriously. As soon as Mom lets me out I run the fence line and through the bushes to make sure all are clear. If not, I give serious chase. I either chase those squirrels and rabbits out of the yard or tree them. If I stand back under the roof’s cover and keep watch I can see if they come back and I know that those varmints can’t see me. When they choose not to take my initial warnings I’m ready to hunt them down again. It may take hours, but it makes no difference. THIS IS MY JOB! Do you know what they’d do to Mom’s gardens if it weren’t for me?

Now I have this little fur ball, Mom calls Trekker, either chasing after me trying to nip my ankles or jumping up in my face as I’m in hot pursuit. How can any respectable dog get a job done with all that jumping and annoyance? He needs to learn. I’ve tried to teach him but he’s useless.

I’ve got to talk quietly so Shiloh can’t hear me because I don’t want to hurt his feelings. He’s my best bud, you know. Shiloh’s just not being fair, I do help. What he’s not telling you that he’s slowing down and sometimes misses the rabbits and squirrels. Just last night I found three hiding rabbits that he’d overlooked. I chased those rabbits right into the neighbor’s yard. He also doesn’t tell you he’s slower than he used to be. Me, I’m quick and fast. Just last night I almost caught one of those rabbits. I was right next to it. Wow…that was so great! Shiloh told me I should have brought that rabbit down and taught it a lesson for being in our yard. That’s not for me, it’s too much fun just running at top speed. But just between you and me, I do help!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one made me smile. It appears that Trekker might be graduating from chasing butterflies and cicadas to larger, more formidable, prey.

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Trekker,

Yeah I totally understand the ego of old slow dogs. I had one too! Enjoy your time with Shiloh..I still miss my Sara dog.

Catch a couple of those bunnies for me!

Russ