Friday, October 24, 2008

Never Fear, Trekker Here





Until Trekker I have always been a big dog person. I’ve felt safe. Not that there is a lot in my life to be afraid of, but our dogs over the years seem to take my personal safety seriously. They would have let all my belongings walk out of the house and probably of kept a burglar company, but never would they let me be harmed.I didn’t have that high of expectations of feeling secure with a “smaller dog” and a puppy no less. This morning Trekker surprised me. I was out on the deck waiting in the dark for the dogs to do their early morning business when we heard a shuffling noise out on the sidewalk. The dogs ran to the fence line to sound the warning and the shuffling continued. Trekker came rounding the house corner and ran up the deck stairs to where I was standing. He placed himself between me and the stairs and began to scan the yard. I could hear a low growl coming from him. Now I know what he heard was someone walking on the sidewalk through all the neighbor’s fallen leaves, but Trekker didn’t. I found that he may be small, but he is mighty.

No comments: