Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Combining Outcomes


Trekker is the first dog I feel I really know where I want to take him or more importantly how to get him there. With our past dogs I went through basic obedience classes but ended there. Then with Shiloh, just a year ago, we learned of the canine good citizen certification and how to become a certified therapy dog. We did both, but our therapy work was short lived. Being an old dog, who often thinks he’s young, he injured his second hind knee running the fence line with the neighbor’s dog. The vet and I decided he was better retired from therapy.

Then comes my bundle of energy, Trekker. My goals are clear: canine good citizen certification; licensed therapy dog; and explore agility with the thought of possibly competing. Trek has great potential but we have to temper his energy with more maturity and focus and more steady work on my part. (Thank you Kristine and Kim for the training suggestions on how to work with two dogs. Trekker was much more focused after being kenneled watching me work with Shiloh and Shiloh just loves to work.)

The place we’ve begun to take classes also offer indoor agility training. I signed up for the beginning agility class in January. It’s not a problem that Trekker is not fully mature because it is nonjump to begin with. Then as he gains agility knowledge, and has his TDI license we can combine the two. They have a volunteer opportunity where disabled kids, as part of their therapy, work with you and your dog in agility but your dog must be TDI licensed. This sounds perfect for an educator who no longer has students. So what does all this mean? Trekker and I have got to get our act together and duo train so they all come together by summer. Good thing I have a smart, determined dog.

No comments: