Sunday, October 19, 2008

Coming Home


My baby is no longer a teenager! This monumental birthday warranted a flying trip to Denver. I know that Luke was thrilled to see us come, but almost as thrilled when our train rolled out returning us to Iowa and he could return to his busy college life.
The long, uncomfortable ride home gave me time to reflect on the differences between human son and canine sons. Luke is every mother’s dream, but also thrives on challenges and his independence. I am so proud to have raised such a proud man, but saddened that I am no longer needed in the way I once was. The dogs, on the other hand, always morn my absences and will follow me to the end of the earth. They have no greater mission in life than being my companions.
Shiloh knew the minute he turned into the boarding kennel that life was not good. He thought by turning around he might be able to sneak home and be saved this horrible kenneling fate. Not so with Trekker, he thought this was yet another adventure and went prancing in. It was only when Rich walked away, leaving him behind that he knew he’d been duped.
Yet unlike human children dogs forgive immediately and love so unconditionally. The joy on their faces, when seeing us again, warms me through and through. Not another sole on earth misses me more and celebrates my return with such glee. This is why I have dogs; I get so much more than I give!

2 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Welcome to blogging Joy! I will surely enjoy adding you to my blog roll!

Joy said...

I have a great role model.