Thursday, November 6, 2008

Just Like Kids


Anyone who has dogs knows that they are like having children. I’m finding with two it’s like having two arguing siblings. In the past couple of days the point has been honed in as child like behaviors abound. A good example of this is when the dogs are lying quietly, the phone rings and I answer. They always choose this moment to tussle underneath me and never quietly. I was on the phone with my mother and she says, “They really are like children, aren’t they?” Yep.

Some more examples are the bullying older brother behaviors:
---Trekker has a chew toy, Shiloh comes and takes it from him. He doesn’t really want it but wants to show Trekker he can have it if he wants it. Trekker whines and cries. Often times running to me like, “He’s picking on me Mom!”
---Trekker is standing next to me for a little love, Shiloh pushes him out of the way and wants the attention. He makes sure to move so Trekker can not get close.
---Last night we went to bed and Trekker was snuggled in next to me. Shiloh isn’t a bed snuggler but thought if Trekker liked it, it must be a good spot. He just plopped on top of Trekker until Trekker wiggled out and moved. As soon as he did that Shiloh moved to his favorite spot away from me.
Yep, just like kids.

For the most part when school is out I head home because doggie bladders are only so strong. After school meetings have to move right along for me to get home, my boys await. I was asked to attend a special meeting Monday after school by the principal. I told her I’d be happy to if I could hire the neighbor boy to babysit. That’s when she asked me week if I knew they were dogs and not children. Nope, they’re just like kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting excited to come home and see the "kids," it will be a interesting to see how Trekker has grown. Hope everything is going great around the house, even though it sounds like Iowa has had some recent snowfall. Speaking of snow, I'll be heading to the slopes next weekend!