Sunday, November 6, 2011

Zoey Has Arrived

From strangers
Zoey is now part of the family. I picked up her up about 5:15 Friday night. Zoey decided the front seat suited her just fine for the ride home. I didn't know I could drive an hour and a half of freeway traffic one handed, but I can. I stroked and talked to her the whole way. If I stopped stroking she nudged for more. I can also say she does not care for the GPS voice and the car calling unit. I think that long ride helped the bonding process.

When we got home Rich and I introduced Trekker and Zoey in the neighbor's driveway. I then took both for a walk. When we got home we went into the backyard and hung out. All Trekker wanted to do is sniff Zoey. Neither dog showed any aggression. Zoey would explore part of the yard and then run back to me. Maybe it was all that petting and talking on the ride home seemed to anchor her to me. I sat down on the dog pillow so I was accessible to both dogs. Finally, Trekker enticed her to a little play.

Trekker is not used to heavy play and can't keep up with Zoey, but he has learned from the best. Trekker used to run lap after lap and then run to close to Shiloh. Bam! Shiloh would have him. Trekker found that same works for Zoey.
To pillow snugglers

My only problem is that we have had two accidents. We will have just been outside and Zoey waits until she comes in. Now all of our doors are closed and have moved furniture to limit her access to other rooms until she is over this. I guess everything can not be a perfect transition.




No comments: